Annual reports for US companies
- Financial statements,
- Company news and information
Data source type
Time period coverage
A 10-K filing is a comprehensive report filed annually by a U.S. publicly-traded company about its financial performance and is required by the U.S. Securities. The 10-K includes qualitative information such as
- Company Business Description (Item 1)
- Description of Risk Factors (Item 1A)
- Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations (Item 7)
- Other financial information
Academically, 10-K filings and especially textual Items 1, 1A, and 7 have been subject to extensive research (https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-679X.12123).
The original data source is the SEC Edgar database. The enhanced data source provided on Data Hub by the author contains 10-K Items 1, 1A, and 7 from January 2003 to April 2022, covering fiscal years 2002-2021, with approximately 6,500 filings per year. Each observation includes the following:
- item textual content
- number of words
- filing year
- CIK stock code
- metadata (filing form and item code)
- a search score in case the user wants to use full-text search capabilitities of Azure Cognitive Search
Note that CIK stock codes are compatible with Compustat and CRSP databases in WRDS.
Search tutorials with MATLAB, Python, and R:
Search result example in JSON format:
The data are provided as is or only linked to. The author takes no responsibility for any errors and misinterpretation arising from however the data is used. The author cannot guarantee the accuracy and completeness of the information provided.